Monday, September 13, 2010

Feeling a little less than?


Homeschooling is one of the hardest things that I have ever done.  As most of you know, I taught in the regular classroom for over 12 years, was a principal, and taught college courses for over 10 years. STILL... I must repeat... homeschooling is the hardest thing I have ever done. It is so personal... if my children don't learn - it is MY fault and mine alone. Can you commiserate?? Sometimes the pressure that I feel is so great, I am almost overwhelmed.  I especially let it knock me down when I talk with homeschooling mothers who seem to have little "geniuses" that are getting college credit at 15.  How do they do it?  Is their whole life devoted to study? Do they ever have fun?  I would love to just ask - In fact, I think the next time I run across a genius homeschooler who has studied Biology and Algebra II before they reach high school... I WILL ASK... do you ever have fun?  Do you ever just watch movies?

Anyway, it took my wonderful husband to wake me up this time.  He pointed out that I have great children who are self motivated... who take time to learn and study and READ.  Yet, these children are individuals... they are NOT going to be just like another... they ARE going to be just what God made them to be!  We strive for excellence - we "Study to show ourselves approved unto God - a workman that needeth NOT to be ASHAMED..."

So if you are feeling like you don't measure up - just check yourself... Are you doing your best? Are you striving for excellence? Are you careful to encourage your children to learn within their means?  Are you fostering and letting them blossom within their strengths?  Then keep your head up... you are NOT less than! You are doing a great job!

PS - thanks so much Alan for resetting my viewpoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment