Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Home school Curriculum

It's that time of year, isn't it? Have you been thinking about your plans for next year's home school? I sure have. I know exactly what I am NOT going to use next year! That's the easy part right? Though a few things will get scratched from our list, there are a few things we used this year that quickly became favorites. I guess we could call them "keepers", like Time4Learning, Apologia Science, Rosetta Stone Spanish, The Mystery of HistoryMemoria Press Latin and certain ABEKA subjects.

On the other hand, there are a few things on our list to "try" next year. I have heard so much about the merits of Time4Writing, and with all the struggles we had churning out a few research papers this year, I know it's time for a change. I have also been thinking about trying the "One Year Adventure Novel." I have one daughter who loves to write fiction stories and I think this would be right up her alley.

I have also been thinking about changing the handwriting curriculum that we have been using.  I still haven't found one that I am particularly pleased with - comment if you have one!!

I would also like to find a better spelling curriculum or method. I have four different spelling levels I need to teach... I would love to find something that was sort of "automated." Not requiring a whole lot of spoon feeding from me. I am thinking of using SpellingCity - but I am still looking at options.

I am not finished perusing all of the wonderful home school curriculum catalogs and magazines... so I am sure I will find other items that look interesting.  If you have a particular favorite homeschool or preK curriculum... please share - let us know where to find it as well!

Related posts:
Online Education's Science Curriculum
Online Education's Language Arts
Online Education's Math Curriculum

2 comments:

  1. yep, I have been thinking of next year too. I think I will be working toward more a project school year with less workbooks.

    http://debbiellbriskincare.blogspot.com/
    MBC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a question. I have a visual spatial learner who has had difficulty with Abeka, Rod & Staff, & SOS. We have tried the samples from Time4Learning & the kids love it. How do you use it? As a supplement? We finished our 1st year & it was tough!!! I am considering using BJU or Abecka DVD's to lighten my load & catch my breath, however I prefer the living books approach. I haven't figured out how to teach them all at once, as my young boys have short attention spans. I have 3 children, entering 6th, 2nd, & 1st grades. Thank you for your blog, I just stumbled upon it!

    Rebecca
    sjbrab1994@juno.com

    ReplyDelete