Thursday, April 22, 2010

Today is Earth Day...

I am sure that today will find many people writing glowing platitudes about "doing our part" to preserve the earth. I understand their intentions, and am sure they sincerely mean well.  Yet, in my mind it is a deeper and more lasting change that I desire to effect in my children.  The character quality of appreciation in our daily lives and applied to every thing is what I hope to instill. People today don't seem to appreciate much of anything, let alone the earth that God gave us. We have abused and corrupted most of the gifts that He has given us.
Genesis 6:11,12 The earth also was corrupt before God and the earth was filled with violence And God looked upon the earth , and behold it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth.
Genesis 6:6 tells us that it grieved God that He had made man on the earth. Man had so corrupted the beatiful creation both in a physical and a spiritual sense. God couldn't let that continue, so He told Noah to build an ark for the saving of him and his family. God was going to clean up the earth and clean it He did. He gave it a forty day washing, and a 140 day drying.  A clean fresh start.

Flash forward a few thousand years to today, and we view the earth again full of corruption both physically and spiritually. What must God think? If it grieved Him in Noah's day, I am sure He is grieved in this day. So my next question, how much longer can this continue until God says enough? Man's reforms will never be enough to fix it. We can recycle, change our energy habits and water habits, use less papaer, grow organic, use "green" cleaners, and on and on; yet for all we do, there are countries on the other side of the globe undoing it with their careless ways. Don't get me wrong. I do believe we should take care of the beautiful gift that God has given us. Yet, just like in Noah's day, we are powerless to truly "fix" the corruption that is now here. We need God!
Rev 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.