Friday, May 21, 2010

Christian Homeschool

Homeschoolers are cool... by the way! - or at least we think so!


Easter 2010
I can't tell you how many times I have been somewhere and gotten "looks" or have been asked if my  six children go to school.  When I answer, "No they homeschool", invariably I get the "Ohhhh" response. Why does the public respond so negatively to something that is different? Homeschoolers are just good mommies and daddies who want to have an active part in their children's education. The public also assumes that homeschool parents are just uneducated people who think they can do it better than the government.  That is so wrong - some of the most educated people I have ever met are Christian homeschool parents. Most of my homeschooling mom friends were actually teachers in their previous life ( :) before children.)  I taught for 15 years and even earned an Ed.D. in curriculum and instruction, yet still choose to stay at home with my children.  People should be more open and accepting to this type of parenting. But instead, most people think that the parents who are thrilled that their kids leave every day are the "normal" standard of parenting. 

Anyway... off my soapbox... homeschooling is on the rise and acceptance of the homeschool lifestyle is becoming less offensive to our "modern" thinkers.  (Though it really doesn't matter to me whether they think it's ok or not.) Yet, it is kinda funny how most people have a predetermined "idea" of what a homeschool family looks like... you know from the blue jean jumpers and tennis shoes to the unsocialized 6 year old rocket scientist.  It's crazy - every homeschool family is different. (By the way, I don't own a blue jean jumper... and my kids surely are not rocket scientists... but they ARE definitely socialized!) Most homeschooling families are just "real" people trying to do what they think is the best for their children.

The Homeschool Family

This video from Tim Hawkins - is hillarious - depicting what people THINK homeschool families are all about... I laughed so hard - I cried....

No comments:

Post a Comment