In these next few verses Jude is giving us examples of what these men are like that are creeping in. He shows us things that they are capable of doing. Gives us things to watch for in them, and to examine in ourselves!
vs. 5 - Jude is reminding us of some historical examples of the "creeps" that we read about in vs. 4.
- FIRST EXAMPLE -The Israelites that were guilty of "unbelief" were not able to enter the promise land - they were destroyed in the wilderness
vs. 6 - SECOND EXAMPLE -The fallen angels - these also put someone else above God. If fallen angels have such a judgement waiting for them - what about fallen man?
vs. 7 - THIRD EXAMPLE - Sodom and Gomorrah sensual sins and the judgment they received
vs. 8 - The counterfeit Christians - or the "creeps" do all of these examples and more:
- filthy dreamers - wicked fantasies and imaginations - pornography - thinking about fantasies with men who are not your husband - leading to dreaming of this as well - pray and ask God to cleanse our minds to combat this - applied to today could be the viewing of wicked things on television or even internet
- defile the flesh - this can be applied many ways - drinking, drugs - sexual sins, marking our bodies, abusing our bodies
- Despise dominion - this person hates authority - anyone who has the rule over them, pastor, leader, boss, even scripture
- Speak evil of dignitaries - shows they have no respect - seek only what is right in their own eyes -
vs. 10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
This verse tells us that the "Counterfeit" Christians that are creeping in unawares do not understand why the true Christian wars against that which comes naturally (works of the flesh). The Christian fights against the acts of the flesh - and the "creeps" don't understand this - they speak evil of this - all the while they are doing what comes naturally just like a beast. A dog does something because he wants to or it pleases him - not because it is good or right. These "creeps" do the same - they act in the flesh and the Bible tells us that they corrupt themselves in this.